At any given time, a family may find itself in a crisis situation, not have a support system and not know where to turn for help. SPIN helps homeless families with children locate and learn the skills necessary to maintain housing in Orange County and become self-sufficient. We want to ensure that all children in our community have a stable environment in which to learn and grow.

GAPP (Guided Assistance To Permanent Placement) Housing Program

SPIN’s housing program, GAPP, provides financial assistance for housing, including rapid rehousing, transitional housing and rental assistance for families with children.  The foundation of the GAPP  housing program is case management and support services, which are selected to address the underlying issues that led to the client’s current situation and may include job development, counseling, budgeting, credit clean-up, etc.

Who Qualifies?

Homeless Orange County families with children who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence, including places not meant for human habitation.

OR, families imminently losing their primary nighttime residence.

OR, families being evicted from a private dwelling unit through court order or eviction notice

OR, under some funding guidelines:

  • OC families with school age children sharing housing due to loss of housing, economic hardship or similar reason

  • OC families with school age children living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camp grounds due to lack of alternative accommodations

  • OC families with school age children living in emergency or transitional shelters

  • OC families with school age children living in places not meant for human habitation

If you should have questions, please call one of our case managers at 714-751-1101, ext. 11, 17 or 14 or leave a message at SPIN’s main number, 714-751-1101 and someone will call you back.

View the GAPP/HMIS Privacy Notice.


Street Services Program

The Street Services Program was the first program initiated by SPIN in 1987. Thirty years later, Street Services continues to provide 350 meals each week and distributes hygiene kits, warm clothing, blankets, sleeping mats, referrals to shelter and other special requests to the homeless at The Courtyard in Santa Ana, to the homeless collaborative in Laguna Beach and to the County’s first year-round emergency shelter.

As from the very first, the Street Services program is run mainly by our wonderful volunteers who shop for the food, prepare it and deliver it in a van that was donated to SPIN. Individual volunteers, corporations, community groups, etc. conduct clothing drives, make or collect blankets, collect hygiene items, etc. to be distributed at the locations mentioned previously.


  • Thank you SPIN for being a blessing to our family. We are very grateful to be in our own apartment and having a normal lifestyle again, after living in our car and facing an uncertain future. We appreciate the guidance from SPIN's case manager, the assistance from your career counselor, the workshops and of course, remembering our children's birthdays and our family at the holidays. We will never forget what SPIN was able to do for our family. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
    — Jessica
  • The GAPP program has helped me achieve self sufficiency. I exited a shelter with a lot of knowledge and with no county assisted aid. GAPP has helped me stay off government assisted help and achieve longer term goals and gain permanent custody of my son which hadn’t been in my care for almost 4yrs. I have accomplished goals I didn’t think were possible. I have sustained a home for myself and my 2 children for almost a year now and have managed to keep my son in sports and spend quality time with my daughter. I have maintained a quality of life that is priceless in so many ways because of SPIN and the support my case manager have given me. Thank you!
    — Mary
  • I wanted to take a moment to say thank you to SPIN and everyone involved with the program. SPIN has truly been a life changing gift. When I first heard about the program it seemed too good to be true. Luckily for me and my son, all of it was true and more. The day that I was accepted into the program my life started on a fresh, positive path. It is amazing how in just two weeks time I had a place to call my own and food in my refrigerator and a fresh start with a lot of help to back me up. There really are no words to express the gratitude for all that SPIN has done and continues to do. I know that I have a chance to succeed that I might not have had otherwise. I am truly thankful everyday for what SPIN has done for me this past year. All I can say is thank you a million times over. I can only hope that one day I will be able to positively impact someone’s life the same way SPIN has impacted my life and my son’s life.
    — Stacey
  • The GAPP program is a fantastic opportunity that has helped me to continue building a foundation and start the structure of my family’s future. It has helped me to provide a stable home for Christina where she's growing and flourishing. Christina and I had a very merry and blessed Christmas in part due to the wonderful contributions that we received. It enables me to have peace of mind so I can concentrate on finding ways that would further help our future. I'm so grateful for the help I'm receiving.
    — Sarah